The Black Death Gameplay2nd March 2018
Driftland: The Magic Revival13th March 2018
Life is Feudal: Your Own
Sandbox, Medieval, MMO, Crafting, Survival
About this game:
Life is Feudal: Your Own is a truly hardcore sandbox RPG with captivating survival aspects. Described as a real-life Medieval simulator, which caters for up to 64 players on a 3km x 3km gameworld, any and all paths are an option.
Life is Feudal: Your Own places you in a realistic feudal setting with the ability to host your own private world and set your own rules to suit your playstyle. There’s an in-depth crafting system, a range of building features, and free terraforming across the map – meaning you can build your own house anywhere in the world. Team up with your friends and build a village or city and repel attacks by other players who want to ransack your lands!
The unique combat system is non-target and physics-based; the direction of your attack depends on mouse movement. Basic movements and directional attacks can be combined to create deadly combos with special harmful effects. Battle formations are also a new way to collaborate and control the situation on the battlefield with your fighting team. Co-operation and a good strategy within a formation will help you prevail against the enemy.
Everything is tweakable and unique to you, including how your character progresses. The skill and stat cap system allow you to design a character moulded to fit your style perfectly, for example. Even alchemy is unique; all recipes are randomized for each character thus the only way to learn is by experimentation.
- Free Terraforming and Tunnelling: Life is Feudal Your Own allows it’s players to freely alter the land around them. this allows players to construct buildings and fortifications to defend and attack! Use your shovel to lower the ground and then flatten it out to build on it. Use your pickaxe to mine out stone, ore and other minerals. Create tunnels lined with Wooden posts and reinforced walls to stop caves collapsing in!
- Battle Formations: Medieval armies weren’t always disorganized and nor should your fighting warband be. Life is Feudal Your Own allows players to set up a group where they can enable 3 different formations: Circle, Line and Wedge. These formations are formerly known as “The Schiltrom”, “The Wall” and the “The Stein”. Use these formations wisely and you will lead your warband to victory!
- Unique Alchemy Combinations: Life is Feudal is an open world Sandbox game and it wouldn’t be one without the ability to gather herbs and become a healing player or even a potion brewer. Alchemy, however, is very tricky because there are over 40,000,000 combinations within the game. This means finding a player who shares the same combinations as you is incredibly rare. It doesn’t stop them sharing herbs though.
- Farming, Seasons and Weather: Life is Feudal Your Own employs Weather and Seasons to allow farmers in the game to grow and harvest crops. Crops in this game need a healthy balance of sunshine and rain to grow. They cannot grow if it’s overcast, snowing or exposed to extremely heavy rain. Learn the Seasons and the weather patterns to allow your farmers to plant on the right days.
- Complex Cooking System: Apart from satisfying your hunger in game, having a good cook is paramount to your guilds efforts. If you have a good cook, they can cook up meals that include 1-5 ingredients which can yield skill bonuses for those who eat the meals.
- Player Damage: Whilst in combat, you and your fellow/enemy players can sustain particular damage debuffs during fights! You can have fractured/broken bones, open wounds that shatter your health bar and bleeding wounds that can cause you to bleed to the point of knock out. Be careful during your fight, a single wound can turn the tide of a fight.
- Unique Health Stamina Bar: Standard MMO’s have a single Health and Stamina bar which is both reach 0, you die or just stop moving. In Life is Feudal your Own, you have 2 Health bars and 2 Stamina bars, represented as Hard and Soft bars. If you sustain too much soft damage, you are knocked out. If you sustain too much Hard damage, you die. Your Soft Stamina, allows you quick bursts of speed, sprinting or combat dashing, whereas your hard Stamina is your overall pool and if it reaches 0, you will have to rely heavily on your soft stamina to get you home.
Life is Feudal Your Own remains my most played game on my Steam library and for reasons that are quite obvious. Life is Feudal was a game I always wished for, a game where you played during a 1400’s era with the ability to make your own items, craft your own tools, weapons and armour. It was a game I fell in love with immediately. during it’s early access days I was engrossed with the game day in day out, there was always a new server opening and there was always a new group preparing to say they were the best! The game was a diamond in the rough and I am truly happy I managed to squeeze in amongst the community nearly 4 years ago.
So let’s talk about the game now, fully released and with its big brother, the MMO out, where does Life is Feudal your Own sit now? Well, I can play any form of game but I always revert back to Life is Feudal Your Own. It’s the type of game where you can go about playing other games but come back to it and still feel as if it’s just brand new. Although Life is Feudal your Own is rarely updated by BitBox Ltd, it still remains as stable as I remember. So why do I like it?
The answer is, the game is just fun. You enter each server a mere peasant, no skills, no stats, nothing to hurt someone currently already playing. you actually need to level skills, stats and have the ability to beat players who might have armour as well! Some may argue that this isn’t the case and I agree with them, especially if the players who you are facing aren’t as well versed in PVP as we may be (The side of the community that enjoys PVP). PVP and PVE, both sides are fun especially if you are facing groups who know what they are doing. That’s where my next point comes in; Groups who don’t know what to do, the more experienced players teach them or at least highlight where they should be aiming for. There will always be some form of toxicity in games and in the LIFYO community, there are very few toxic players. Any that pop their head up are usually the type that cannot fight or make everything feel personal.
Don’t let this put you off the game, the community on LIFYO is very “unified” even though many are against each other or theyr are formal enemies in the MMO. After each PVP instance, every siege and ambush, these players are here to have fun and those who take it personally leave with haste.
If you are a gamer who loves the Medieval sandbox genre with the ability to build a base, specialise in combat professions and work in groups(guilds) this game is definitely worth a look.