Attention all players of Avalon [EU]15th March 2018
Squad24th March 2018
Strategy, Violent, Tactical, RTS, Medieval, Viking
About this game:
Take command of your army as you storm through medieval Europe in an extensive series of campaigns. Choosing one of the four available nations – Viking, Anglo-Saxon, German, Slav – you will be tasked with more than just conquering, raiding and pillaging enemy camps, villages and towns. Only by utilizing the full range of available tactical options, taking strategic advantage of the environment, and managing your temporary bases and settlements, will you emerge victoriously.
Ancestors Legacy is a historically accurate real-time strategy game influenced by historical events in the Middle Ages. The game combines resource management and base building with large-scale, squad-based battles across vast battlefields, all rendered in great detail thanks to the Unreal Engine 4 tech. Experience medieval bloodshed like never before, thanks to the cinematic action camera that puts you right in the middle of the battle at the press of a button.
- 4 Key Factions: Take command of some of the most famous factions to even walk the face of the earth. Lead the raid with the Viking hordes, brutal and savage masters of the sword, axe and spear. Take the reigns of the Anglo-Saxon warriors, true God-fearing Christians, devoted to ridding the world of heretics, savages and those who stand against the will of God. Tame the ferocity of the Germanic people, with great weapons designed to punish those who stand against their might. Control the Slavs and they’re unyielding rage against those who dare step on their land.
- Advanced Tactical Breakdown: Each and every unit has the ability to utilise the terrain to make fights nearly impossible to lose. For every kill, your unit gains experience, use this experience to further your units veterancy in war! Finally, morale plays a great factor in this game, will your units die to the last man or will they break and flee?
- Resource management: Like traditional RTS games, players would be required to produce workers or civilians to carry out resource collection tasks. To make this game more streamlined and pinned more on battles, the need for civilians to be made has been removed. Instead, factions must capture villages which are resource points for Wood, Food and Iron.
- Village Construction: Since Ancestors Legacy is mostly battle focused, this means construction should be light and easy to control. Instead of clicking and placing building, you simply click and an area of available space is made for your new building, after which can be used once constructed. This allows the player to focus on managing their units on the field.
- Unreal Engine 4: This game is backed by one of the most powerful game engines currently on the market. Unreal Engine 4 allows this game to stand out amongst its competition. the overall graphical look through UE4 makes every fight, every death and even movement look cinematically real. With the power of UE4, the developers of Ancestors Legacy also allow each unit to work independently when engaged in battle, this allows for very cinematic and intense fights.
- Unique Abilities: Trigger Runes, Holy Writings and Scriptures that allow your people to produce more, fight harder, run faster or decrease the upkeep of units and buildings. Using these abilities at the right time can be the difference between losing a village or making that one upgrade you know will win your future fights.
Taking command of the Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Slavs or Germans is a fun excuse to spend hours playing this game, especially with the stunning visuals
Ancestors Legacy is the next big RTS game on the market and I can’t wait until it’s fully released with a single player campaign and potential coop games! Due to the games main focus being on combat, it’s great to see that this game will be fun and intense even for casual players who enjoy RTS games. With Unreal Engine 4 being the game engine to Ancestors Legacy, the maps, visuals and effects will be truly impressive, especially when it comes to the combat of units. Like some games out today, Ancestors Legacy has various animation sets for different units who kill in different ways, move in different ways and act unique.
Even though this game is currently out as an Early Access title, you can currently grab this game for FREE for a limited time on Steam. At the time of making this review, you can actually test out if you want to back this game by trying out the Multiplayer vs BOTs or vs Players. This will allow players to also send feedback to the developers, further progressing the game to be one of the greats!
Even though I like this game, it does come with some negatives. The movement of some units is a bit strange, especially if you are commanding more than 3 groups. The track paths do need some work, some units actually stop moving and will ignore move commands and attack commands. This is to be expected from an Early Access title and this problem will be fixed eventually. One other negative I have to say is I wish there was more building aspects to your base. Even though I said the game is mainly focused on fighting, Id like to see upgrade buildings that do passive abilities to resource collections and possibly the ability to construct a palisade or stone fortification around your main camp. This would give the siege engines in the game an even more important role, as opposed to taking out large “blobs” of enemy groups.
For those who love RTS games and love to see fights more than deal with resources and building, this will be a game you want to put on your wishlist. Four factions full of abilities, units and unique buildings, this will be a game to compete with the likes of Company of Heroes and even… Age of Empires…